Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pictures

When I travel, I often find myself thinking about ways that I can incorporate what I am seeing/doing into my lessons to make them more engaging.  This mindset further shows that teaching is not a 9-5 job. I recently traveled to Arizona and had the fortune to visit a cave dwelling (a topic that is covered in my 6th grade Social Studies curriculum.) Taking some real life pictures allowed me to use them in my morning message and discuss the Pueblo Indians in an authentic way. Having this rich discussion got me thinking, with a simple picture I was able to reinforce S.S. ideas that the students will be tested on, I shared a part of my travels, and I showed students that learning continues after you leave school.  Moreover, it added spice to my morning message.  Before we even discussed it, the students were standing around and discussing what the pictures were and what they could see in it.  It was one of those golden teachable moments that unintentionally happen that I will spend all year trying to recreate.

No comments:

Post a Comment