Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Proportions with Barbie Dolls

My idea was not an original idea. In fact, I saw it in so many places that I am unsure whom to give credit to. Despite this, I would like to start by saying a BIG THANK YOU to my coworkers that allowed me to borrow their daughter's Barbie Dolls. I used an assortment of Barbies and Ken Dolls. I wanted to make sure my students saw a variety of faces, styles, and type.

Now onto the actual lesson...

As a end activity for our proportions unit, I posed the question: "If Barbie was as tall as you, what would she look like?" I wanted the students to get a couple things out of this activity. I wanted to have them problem solve, apply proportions, tie in art, and I wanted the students to realize that Barbie was an unrealistic expectation for anyone.

In order to have my students brain storm and I asked them to identify what information we would need to enlarge the proportions of barbie. After a couple of minutes and some guided questions, the students were able to determine that we needed Barbie's current measurements and then a measurement of what we wanted them to be. I had the students work in partners to complete the rest of the activity. They had to measure one of their heights (I told them to choose the shortest because they would later have to draw the barbies). From there the students measured all of the parts of Barbie (except for her chest.) The students then calculated proportions using their real height. This proved to be challenging but a really great teachable moment for my students. After they completed the proportion they wanted to check their answers by measuring themselves. We ended up taking a break and having a class discussion about why they were getting different answers through their proportions than what they are in real life. One of my students eventually shouted out that we are not proportionate to Barbie! You should have seen my grin.

After the students completed all of their proportions, I had them trace the person they measured and then draw barbie's picture using their proportion answers over top of them. This proved to be the longest portion of the activity and I think the hardest. In the future I would use this as an extension not a requirement. Some of my students were able to complete the whole activity in the time allotted, but most of them started it, and then grew frustrated because they were rushing and making several mistakes. Those students that were able to complete the picture had some great post activity discussion. I overheard several of my students saying, "That's not possible" or "Look how big her eyes are! No way!"

In the end, the students were able to complete the proportions in a real life way, which was the ultimate goal. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment