Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Laughing with children

I am trying to get better about writing everyday...even if it is for just a moment. As you read this, please be aware that I am typing on my cell phone because I just could not bring myself to bring my laptop home. So, I am sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes that I may make.

Today was an interesting day. It was a day where I wore the wrong shoes. Now, I love my even day classes. They are small, these classes include delightful children that have great comedic timing and always know how to make me smile. I have students in these even day classes that ask amazing questions. They make the connections that every teacher wants. But most of all, these are the classes that do not have any behavior problems. Meaning, my odd day classes are full of behavior intervention plans, and formal behavior plans. Odd day classes are the classes where I am on a first name basis with most of the parents because I call them so much.

Today however, I wore the wrong shoes. I woke up early, came in early, was extremely productive, but it was not the usual even day love. This became so crystal clear for me when I was with my every day class. So if you are on block schedule, you know that you have 1 class every day. It is your shortest class and it tends to feel like it goes on forever. Now this every day class has a ton of behavior children. It is also my biggest class...luckily I have a coteaching that is amazing.

Now, back to the clear part. My Co teacher was up at the board going over the worksheet that the students were working on while I sat next to the king of trouble. Now, this is a kid that every teacher will eventually have. This kid makes it hard to love him, but then will turn around and really amaze you. He is like that sour gummy commercial....first their naughty, then they are sweet. Well this kid looked at me today and said, "it is starting to get stuck in my head. Watch I'm gonna solve it so fast it will make your head spin." When I would I turn to look at his paper, he would cover and say, "I don't need your help. I got it." And he did. He got everyone correct. When I smiled at him he said, "you know why?" And I answered at the same time as him, "because you're a genius."

That right there made my day. A kid that is told in every class and at home every day that he is a failure looked at me and told me he has it. That's a moment I live for.

I can only hope that he remembers this when he is older or the next time he faces adversity. This king of trouble is a genius that gots it.

No comments:

Post a Comment