Sunday, October 28, 2012

BYOD

Where do you stand?

My school is beginning the Bring Your Own Device program this year in sixth grade.  My teammates think we are the Guinea Pigs, but they don't realize I pushed for this.  I have been reading about this program for the past year, and I was excited that I finally had an administration that was willing to let me test out what we could with it.  Needless to say, there is a lot of backlash.  My SBTS and TSPEC are already overwhelmed at what is going on in our school they are pissed that I am adding one more thing to their to do list.  I also have a couple of team members that say they are interested but then make backhanded complaints about how this is adding work to their classroom.  I am new to this school, so I am trying not to shove this down my teammates throats, but I think they are missing the fundamental principle of the BYOD program.  This program allows students to take ownership of their own learning.  It allows them to extend their learning in a situation where I am not necessarily integrating technology.  Maybe they have a question about a book they are reading? Or they want to see what other books an author has written? What if I am working with a small group, and they have a question. Instead of interrupting my small group (which happens way too much), they can go watch a video that I have posted on my blackboard site!  The possibilities are endless.  None of these experiences require me to plan extra activities.  If anything, it alleviates my stress.  Like anything else in the classroom, it will require some additional training and there will be hiccups in the beginning.  But if you can get the students used to this program early on, it will become a school norm and students can start becoming life long leraners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment