Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Math Stations

Today, I once again experimented with my math class schedule. I am really trying to meet with small groups to make sure that students understand and ask questions to verify and process information.  SO.  For my low and medium students I had 2 centers:  At one center my students were completing a webquest on order of operations.  *Warning the teachertube video was working yesterday, but was not working today.  Go figure... Then, while the students were working on the webquest, I was meeting on the carpet to go over signs of multiplication. I noticed after giving my students a quick quiz, they did not understand that a dot and parentheses could represent multiplication.  This was causing issues and confusion because they would stop following the P.E.M.D.A.S. and just guess what it means.  Or they would work around and then get to that "weird sign" last.  Either way, they got the wrong answer.

For my highest level of students I had an additional center.  The new blackboard 24-7 design allows teachers to create a module page that forces the students to complete certain tasks in a order.  Exactly like a webquest, but on blackboard. The students began by filling out a graphic organizer of important vocabulary terms.  Then they worked through a PowerPoint presentation about solving for x.  The PowerPoint presentation had videos, games, and assignments to complete.  It was, however, a review for the students. After the PowerPoint they began learning about expressions through a smartboard presentation.  The smartboard presentation is meant to be worked on with a partner.   The students were then expected to go through another PowerPoint on expressions that had videos, games, and assignments to complete.  The students ended the unit by taking a 3 question quiz with questions from previous End of Year Assessments.

*All of the assignments in the following module were found through FCPS Blackboard Ecart.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment