Thursday, November 8, 2012

On Top of the World

 

Today I began a new language arts unit.  I have been thinking about this unit for about a year now and I feel like I finally have the resources and the energy (lets be honest) to begin it.  My idea is to incorporate nonfiction, fiction, and video to help the students learn about Mt. Everest.  I want to incorporate different types of literature so the students can see how information can be delivered in different ways.  Moreover, I want to create interest by showing that these convoluted facts can relate to them.  I began the unit by showing the youtube interview (below) and asking their opinion.  Most of the students are automatically hooked because they are only 3 years younger than Jordan Romero.  I then began reading the fiction book Peak by Roland Smith as a read aloud.  I am about 1/3 of the way through it and in the next week or two I plan to begin reading an informational text and practicing some non-fiction reading skills with The Top of the World: Mt. Everest by Steve Jenkins. The bulletin board picture shows the activity I did today, where I read a section of the book and the students drew what they visualized.  I am extremely proud of the mountain in the bulletin board, because my art skills are greatly improving. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment